Saturday, October 15, 2011

Book Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Yep, it’s me again with another book review and believe me when I tell you there are a lot of reviews yet to come. So, lets get started.
Okay, right off the bat, this is one of the best books I’ve read in a really long time. I get that it’s one of the many “angel” books that’s trending right now, but the concept is truly unique. Plus, to go along with my love of the supernatural, I have to admit that angels hold a special place in my heart. Probably because they are such a big part of the Age of Eden plotline, but Cynthia Hand has taken angels to a place I never would have thought of. Truly inspired.

Unearthly:
When Clara begins having visions of a boy standing in the midst of a forest on fire, she realizes she’s found her purpose.  It’s a purpose she’s been expecting and one her mother has been preparing her for, ever since it was revealed that she is part angel. It’s also why her mother packs up Clara and her brother and moves them from the big city in California, to a small town in Wyoming.
Her first task? To find the boy in her visions.
But, finding him is the least of her problems as he appears right in front of her the moment she enters her new school. Quickly learning his name is Christian, Clara finds herself ready to face her task. Now all she has to do is figure out when the fire happens, save Christian’s life, and her purpose will be fulfilled.
The trouble is, Christian isn’t the only boy that catches Clare’s attention. A distraction is placed in her way when she meets Tucker and he appeals to a side of her that is less angelic and more human, which forces her to make a choice. Does she follow her destiny and accept the responsibility of her purpose or does she follow her heart and choose the boy that appeals to the human side of her soul?     
*****
Like I said, I absolutely loved this book and I’m telling you right now my summary doesn’t do it justice. I loved the interaction between Clara and Tucker, seeing her learn about her angel side, and really coming into her own as she accepts certain things about herself and about her family. This book is 100% emotionally driven and the characters are vibrant and, even given the supernatural element, they are relatable as well.
If you haven’t read it yet, do so now. It’s available wherever books are sold, online and on a bookshelf near you. (Sorry, I had to embrace the cliche lol)
To read more about Unearthly and the book's equally interesting author Cynthia Hand, please visit http://cynthiahandbooks.com/ . I'm sure she'll be glad to see you. ;)

No comments: