Thursday, January 27, 2011

Qualifed and Trustworthy Readers

As Jennifer said earlier, we have been receiving feedback on our book Age of Eden. While that has been going on, I have been allowing a few people to read, what I have of my manuscript for my new book.

Everyone knows that most men hate to read, but I have allowed a fellow male co-worker to read my manuscript. Afterwards, he was shocked and astonished. But, then he had tons of suggestions that I plan on making to my book, which will make it even better.

What I am really trying to say is, even though every author wants to hear that their book is the best thing ever written since twilight, it isn’t realistic. You can’t grow as an author if you have nothing but praise, especially when your book can be BETTER! Believe it.

Whenever you send out your manuscript for feedback, send it to reader’s that you see fit to give you criticism; someone who will be honestly blunt and shred it to pieces because that is exactly what you need. Don’t send it to the same type of person. What I mean is send it to people through all walks of life. Send it to random aged people; young, old, male, female, single, married, etc. Send it to a random group of trustworthy acquaintances that will give you the ideas, support, and criticism that will make you a better writer.

You might disagree with me on this topic—but it is all in our best interest. I don’t want someone to read my book if they are going to fill me with false hopes. I need the truth. And the truth is one out of every thousand manuscripts get published. It’s discouraging, but whoever said writing books was for the faint at heart? It’s for people, who are in it for the long haul, for better or worse, for published or unpublished.

No comments: